Abstraction on Johnson Atelier Truck, probably Fall 1981
The collection consists of two digital copy prints of O'Keeffe's finished sculpture, Abstraction, on the Johnson Atelier truck. Photograph was taken by David Carrow, probably in the fall of 1981.
- Collection No.
- probably Fall 1981
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
BIOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL NOTE
J. Seward Johnson Jr. founded the Johnson Atelier Technical Institute of Sculpture (Princeton, NJ) in 1974 as a casting and fabrication facility with an emphasis on education. As such, the Institute had a robust apprenticeship program for hands-on learning as well as strong inclinations to experiment with new methods and techniques, working directly with sculptors to achieve their desired artistic outcome. Georgia O'Keeffe worked with the Johnson Atelier for the casting of her sculpture, Abstraction. David Carrow (1942-2020) worked as the Facilities Manager and Special Projects Supervisor at Johnson Atelier from 1981 to 2004. In addition to his work at Johnson Atelier, Carrow was also a sculptor, ironworker, steel fabricator, teacher, and consultant during his long career in the arts.
- Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
- Preferred Citation
- Abstraction on Johnson Atelier Truck, 1981. Georgia O'Keeffe Museum.
- Acquisition Information
- Gift from the Estate of David Carrow., This collection was donated to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum by the Estate of David Carrow in 2022.
- Processing Information
- This collection was processed by Ashley Baranyk in 2022.
CONDITIONS GOVERNING ACCESS AND USE
- Legal status note
- https://rightsstatements.org/page/1.0/?language=en, Copyright Estate of David Carrow. This collection is the physical property of the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum. The Museum holds rights only for material created by Museum personnel or given to the Museum with such rights specifically assigned. The collection is subject to all copyright laws. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply. Contact the Archivist for further copyright and publication information as it pertains to this collection.
- Allowed Uses
- The collection is open to the public for research purposes.
- Copy and reproduction restrictions
- Copies may be made for research purposes only.
Existence of additional related materials in the Seward Johnson Atelier archives. Georgia O'Keeffe Abstraction Photographs (MS.15 / RC.2010.2) and Abstraction at Johnson Atelier (MS.65 / 2022.5) are located at the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum.
Abstraction on Johnson Atelier truck
Photograph of O'Keeffe's sculpture, Abstraction, in the bed of a Johnson Atelier truck. Photograph taken by David Carrow, likely in the fall of 1981.