My First Trip to New York Manuscript, 1983, undated
"My First Trip to New York," a ten-page handwritten manuscript by Georgia O'Keeffe recounting her first trip to New York to study at the Art Students' League and meeting Alfred Stieglitz. Includes six typed transcripts of text with various levels of edits, and the original folder housing the materials. Materials date 1983, undated.
- Collection No.
- 1983, undated
This collection is arranged into three files: Manuscript, Transcripts, and Enclosure.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection includes a ten-page, handwritten manuscript, "My First Trip to New York" by Georgia O'Keeffe, in which she recounts her first trip to New York to study at the Art Students' League, as well as meeting Alfred Stieglitz for the first time. The collection also includes six typed transcripts of the manuscript, some with handwritten edits showing the revision process. The original folder in which the materials were housed includes the title, "My First Trip to New York," handwritten by Agapita Lopez, former companion and secretary for O'Keeffe. Some of the transcripts include revision or transcription dates, all from June 1983. All other materials in the collection are undated, including the original manuscript.
BIOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL NOTE
In 1907, after recovering from a long illness, Georgia O'Keeffe traveled to New York to attend the Art Students' League at the behest of her brother. Originally founded in 1875, the Art Students' League provided coursework for amateurs and professionals alike, but never a degree program. During this time in New York City, O'Keeffe and her classmates visited 291 Gallery, where she first met Alfred Stieglitz, famed photographer, gallery owner, and her future husband. Decades later, O'Keeffe would recount this experience in the form of the manuscript writing in this collection. While similar in nature to the Viking Press publication, Georgia O'Keeffe (1976-1977), this manuscript was not necessarily contemporary to that period and publication effort. In 1983, O'Keeffe tasked Agapita Judy Lopez, companion and secretary, with transcribing the account from the handwritten, double-spaced, yellow legal pad into typed form. Lopez's annotations can be found on the original document, in which she clarified difficult-to-read words. Others would assist with editing, and subsequent typed drafts followed, some with additional annotations and edits. One such revised transcript includes the initials "C.S.", possibly Cathy Serrano.
- Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
- Preferred Citation
- My First Trip to New York Manuscript, 1983, undated. Georgia O'Keeffe Museum.
- Acquisition Information
- This collection was purchased by the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum in 2020 from Juan Hamilton via Sotheby's auction.
- Processing Information
- This collection was processed by Ashley Baranyk in 2021.
CONDITIONS GOVERNING ACCESS AND USE
- Legal status note
- Copyright Juan Hamilton. This collection is the physical property of the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum. The Museum holds rights only for material created by Museum personnel or given to the Museum with such rights specifically assigned. The collection is subject to all copyright laws. The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply. Contact the Archivist for further copyright and publication information as it pertains to this collection., https://rightsstatements.org/page/1.0/?language=en
- Allowed Uses
- The collection is open to the public for research purposes.
- Copy and reproduction restrictions
- Copies of materials may be made for research purposes only.
Original folder housing handwritten manuscript and transcripts. Includes handwritten label in black ink: "My First Trip to New York." Barcode sticker applied to front by Sotheby's during auction in 2020.